Saturday, January 18, 2014

Day 3 : Good Films - Blazing Sun - Black Ice

I like the way the day started. John Slattery has been obsessed with a book called 'God's Pocket' for 10 years. The rights weren't available, but he worked on the screenplay and pursued the financing and finally it all came together in the film that premiered at Sundance this year. Once again, here's a photo from the premiere that I didn't attend. There's Trevor Groth on the end, he's the head of programming
at the festival slumming with Slattery, Christina Hendricks and Philip Seymour Hoffman, stars of the film about a working class area of Philly.
Tough folks, great script and super direction.


 I took a break in the afternoon, and walked up to Main Street in search of a giftey for my husband who was gallantly at home following the full-page, single-spaced list of instructions for household chores I'd left him with. Anyway Main Street was chock full of MOBS of people who I don't think were seeing one movie, more like had entered Park City on a magic carpet made of fur coats and beer. An odd, huge crush of folks. I was eager to get back to my own little slice of heaven,

also known as the Press & Industry tent. This is where we line up with the hopes of getting into our private screenings every two hours or so. Now, my good buddy Rob Thomas, the movie reviewer and blogger extraordinaire took a similar shot and swore he wouldn't put in on his blog, but he lied. And I'm only forgiving him because he walked me home tonight.
The last two movies of the day were fantastic. 'Last Days in Vietnam' is a tremendous documentary by Rory Kennedy about the back story on the Saigon airlifts during the last days of the war. I was moved and shocked  
 about how much I didn't know. I also thought it was an amazing circle that Rory Kennedy made a film that was about the end of what JFK had started.  The last movie of the night was really good, and I'm sure it will be picked up -'Infinitely Polar Bear' starring Mark Ruffalo as a bi-polar Bostonian from a blue-blood background who has to deal with caring for his daughters while his wife gets her MBA. Great script, and the kids are stellar.

Tomorrow has loads of movies and two great parties...


2 comments: