Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Last Day At Sundance - Reflections on a Good Year

When we first get the film titles, about three weeks before the fest, we pour over the schedule and try our best to pick films to see - most days four to five beginning at 8:30 a.m. and often ending at around 11 p.m. trying to avoid the black ice on the ground.
A full house at the Eccles, a 1200 seat auditorium
To be honest, most of the titles are complete mysteries to us and so we go into the festival not entirely knowing what we are going to see, just trying our best to pick a film based on liking the directors previous work, or liking the actors, or that the time slot works as there are five films to choose from in each slot. It's not until the first couple days does word of mouth enter into the  equation, or blogs or early reviews in some of the trades. While I went into the festival without a large number of films on a must-see list, I have been more than pleasantly surprised at just how many films this year I wound up really liking, and know that we'll be bringing them to a Sundance Cinema near you (San Francisco, Houston, Madison, Seattle and Los Angeles). That's exciting and gratifying. And it makes me proud of the eagle eye programmers at Sundance.
This morning when I was at the Eccles, I snapped a shot of this theatre seat,
because this was Roger Ebert's seat, and one year I screwed up my courage and introduced myself. He was so nice - he asked me to move my floppy hat so that he could see my eyes while we chatted. I think this chair should always remain empty out of respect.


Of the three movies I saw today, I think my favorite was Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon in 'The Trip To Italy', directed by Michael Winterbottom.A 'continuation' of 2010's 'The Trip', about the search for fine dining in the UK, this is a much more lush and gorgeous and food-tastic trip through the coast of Italy. Loved it.




Signing off, and see you all at the movies.

- Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment